Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Letter to Maren at 2 Months


Disclaimer: I realize that Maren's 2 month birthday is long gone but hopefully as my life gets back into more of a routine it will be easier to update the blog at appropriate times. We'll see.

Babykakes,

This month has been a roller coaster. The first week of your second month was hellish with a growth spurt and a serious textbook example of acid reflux, complete with projectile vomitting, lots of laundry, and not a lot of sleep. There were moments where I understood that mythical idea that as a parent, you would do anything to help your child and make her feel better. Seeing you cry and in pain made me want to cry too (and sometimes made me want to take Bishop's lead and hightail it out of the room). Lucky for both of us a small dropper of medication lessened your discomfort, resulting in less spit up, less laundry, less crying (for both of us), and more sleep.

The improvement of your reflux seemed to set off a positive trend and soon you were smiling--lighting up faces and melting hearts well into 2010. As many others have said, seeing that smile made all the days, and nights, of exhaustion and frustration and seemingly thankless effort, worth it. Your smile is so contagious that I know there will be days ahead when I feel overwhelmed or tired and you'll pick me up with your gummy grin. And this reminds me that happiness and laughter is truly infectious.

So my new years resolution for you is to always show you happiness. There will be plenty of time for you to learn about the ample tragedies and sadness rampant in this world, but for now, you can be blissfully ignorant, thinking that everyone makes googly faces, blows raspberries, and plays peek-a-boo on a daily basis.

All my love,

Momma

1 comment:

  1. I *heart* this letter! I did mis-read the section on Bishop at first though and thought you said "Bisop's leg" instead of "lead" and spun into a vivid photo of you flying out of the room holding Bishop by his one hind leg. (As a warning, he wasn't happy about it either.) :) Happy 2.5 months BabyKakes!

    ReplyDelete